- The Council of the League of Arab States at Ministerial Level at its Extraordinary Session convened on 10th March 2016 at the headquarters of the Secretariat General in Cairo,
- Having reviewed Article XII of the Charter of the League of Arab States and Article II of the Annex on the summit regular convening mechanism,
- Based on the authorizations granted by Arab leaders to Heads of Delegation,
- As the mandate of HE Nabil Elaraby ending on 30th June 2016,
- Recalling the notes submitted by the Permanent Delegation of the Arab Republic of Egypt to the League of Arab States No. 435 on 7th March 2016 that the Egyptian Government nominates the former Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr. Ahmed Aboul-Gheit as the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States; and No. 438 on 7th March 2016 that includes his Excellency's Resume.
- Within the framework of the sincere desire and intimate seeking to strengthen the Arab solidarity in the critical phase undergone by the Arab nation,
1- Approves the appointment of HE Mr. Ahmed Aboul-Gheit as the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States for a five-year term as of July 2016;
2- Requests the Arab League Secretary-General, HE Dr. Nabil Elaraby to resume his post as the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States pending the handover of his post to the new Secretary-General,
3- Extends gratitude and appreciation to ex-Arab League Secretary-General, HE Dr. Nabil Elaraby for his outstanding performance leading the joint Arab action during the past five years and during the hardest phase faced the Joint Arab Actions system; his valuable endeavours to develop Joint Arab Action system, update its mechanism and implement its resolutions and in defending the Arab issues, particularly Question of Palestine and Arab-Israeli Conflict, advancing forward the League of Arab States towards broader horizons in the political, diplomatic and development areas at Arab level and in the regional and international fora, and his seeking to achieve the aspirations and hopes of Arab peoples in a safe and stable future.
(R: (7989 – Ex. S - 10/3/2016)