Intellectual Property and Competitiveness Department Activities
The Intellectual Property and Competitiveness Department's activities aim to achieve the mandate and objectives that serve the Arab interests and promote joint Arab action according to the annual programme of action and budget, which approved by the Council of the League of Arab States, these activities include:
- The Annual Meeting of Intellectual Property Government Officials in the Arab world.
- Training courses and workshops on raising awareness of the intellectual property importance, in cooperation with (WIPO).
- Celebration of World Intellectual Property Day.
- Participation in the World Intellectual Property Organization General Assembly meetings.
- The annual meeting of the National Competitiveness Councils of the Arab Region.
- Publication of books and bulletins on intellectual property and competitiveness in the Arab region.
Intellectual Property and Competitiveness Department Mandate المهام
- Inter-Arab cooperation and coordination in area of intellectual property and competitiveness.
- Raising Arab awareness of intellectual property and competitiveness issues.
- Development of the Arab States' legislations to comply with the World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS).
- Incorporate intellectual property items within Free Trade Area Agreements.
- Achieving the right balance on promoting economic growth through local and global competitiveness.
- Promoting the concept of competitiveness to value and improve skills in the Arab region, in addition to providing a conductive environment for creativity and innovation.
- Supporting capacity in area of protecting intellectual property rights across the Arab world, and emphasizing the important role of innovation in creating competitive opportunities.
- Cooperating with regional and international organizations, which abide by improving competitiveness.
- Organizing conferences, seminars, workshops, exhibitions and training programmes on all relevant issues.
- Preparing studies, researches and reports in area of intellectual property as required.
The Intellectual Property and Competitiveness Department Objectives
The Department's programmes and activities aim to increase Arab awareness of intellectual property and competitiveness issues, to review and analyze the competitive situation of the Arab countries, to raise awareness of competitiveness to achieve sustainable development and support the protection of intellectual property and competitiveness in the Arab world with a view to promoting innovation, and tcontributing to the development of legislations, as well as regional and international conventions for the protection of intellectual property in general. The objectives include the following:
1) Providing data and information on intellectual property in the Arab region
- The Department provides data and information on intellectual property in the Arab region to serve as a central information source, so as to help in decision making to achieve the Arab interests in intellectual property system.
2) Supporting the measures taken to facilitate effective protection of intellectual property
- The Department coordinates in areas of combating piracy, enforcement and border measures through cooperation with national authorities in judiciary, customs and judicial bodies, and also with international and regional organizations.
3) Coordinating national legislations and encouraging Arab countries to accede to international conventions in area of intellectual property protection.
- The Department also works with the Arab countries to assist in developing national legislations in area of intellectual property, and paticipates in the committees established by resolutions of the Council of Arab Ministers of Justice.
4) Developing an Arabic competitiveness database to create an index for the Arab region
- The index shall be issued upon the national competitiveness index of the Arab countries, which is based on reviewing the economic impact on gross domestic product (GDP), employment and technology transfer.
5) Reviewing and analyzing the competitive situation of the Arab countries
- The Department cooperates with National Competitiveness Councils in the Arab region .
6) Considering the League of Arab States' accession as an observer to the World Trade Organization.
Publications of the Intellectual Property and Competitiveness Department
- Directory of Intellectual Property Offices in Arab Countries
- Arab Inventors Guide
- Arab Cooperation in area of Intellectual Property
- Industrial Designs
- Report on the Situation of Collective Management of Copyright and Related Rights in Arab Countries